Reports News Articles Studies & Journal Articles NACDL Champion Articles Media Letters & Testimony Organizational Resources Drug Overdose Homicide Resources
- Marijuana Legalization and Expungement in Early 2021, Collateral Consequences Resource Center, May 2021.
- Ending the War on Drugs in Travis County: How Low-Level Drug Possession Arrests are Harmful and Ineffective, Grassroots Leadership, Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, Texas Harm Reduction Alliance, UT Law Civil Rights Clinic, February 2020.
- Ending the Drug War, Shaping the Future, Drug Policy Alliance, 2019.
- Marijuana Policy Progress Report: 2019 Legislative Update, Marijuana Policy Project, 2019.
- Next Steps in Federal Corrections Reform: Implementing and Building on the First Step Act, Urban Institute, May 2019.
- A Guide to Resentencing & Reclassification, Drug Policy Alliance, March 2018.
- It’s Time for the U.S. to Decriminalize Drug Use and Possession, Drug Policy Alliance, 2017.
- A Brief History of the Drug War, Drug Policy Alliance, 2016.
- Marijuana Facts, Drug Policy Alliance, 2016.
- Second Chances: The Economic and Social Benefits of Expanding Drug Diversion Programs in Harris County, Rice University’s Baker Institute for Public Policy and Texas Criminal Justice Coalition, September 2015.
- The Path Forward: Rethinking Federal Marijuana Policy, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, November 2014.
- Collateral Costs: Racial Disparities and Injustice in Minnesota’s Marijuana Laws, Nicole Simms, Minnesota 2020, April 2014.
- Drug War Détente? A Review of State-level Drug Law Reform, 2009-2013, Vera Institute of Justice, April 2014.
- One Million Police Hours, Drug Policy Institute, March 2013.
- Playbook for Change? States Reconsider Mandatory Sentences, Vera Institute of Justice, February 2014.
- The War on Marijuana in Black and White: Billions of Dollars Wasted on Racially Biased Arrests, ACLU, June 2013.
- Time Served: The High Cost, Low Return of Longer Prison Terms, The Pew Center on the Statutes, June 2012.
- Drug Courts Are Not the Answer: Toward a Health-Centered Approach to Drug Use, Drug Policy Alliance, March 2011.
- Addicted to Courts: How a Growing Dependence on Drug Courts Impacts People and Communities, Justice Policy Institute, March 2011.
- Targeting Blacks for Marijuana: Possession Arrests of African Americans in California, 2004-2008, Drug Policy Alliance, June 2010.
- The Rockefeller Drug Laws: Unjust, Irrational, Ineffective, ACLU, 2009.
- Marijuana Arrests and California’s Drug War: A Report to the California Legislature, Mike Males and Daniel Macallair, Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice, October 2009.
- Drug Law Reform Provisions in NYS Budget Bill, New York Civil Liberties Union, 2009.
- The real reefer madness remains our marijuana enforcement policy, Natalie Pipillion, Daily News, March 2020.
- Naloxone saves lives. Tainting it with criminality will mean people die. Kimberly Chernoby and Nicholas Terry, The Washington Post, March 2020.
- Complex Marijuana Laws Leave Lawyers in Legal Limbo, Steven Cash, Law.com, March 2020.
- Four-in-ten U.S. drug arrests in 2018 were marijuana offenses – mostly possession, John Gramlich, Pew Research Center, January 2020.
- Marijuana Nation, CBS.
Studies & Journal Articles
- Racial Disparities in Federal Sentencing: Evidence From Drug Mandatory Minimums, Cody Tuttle, University of Maryland, 2019.
- Notes from the Defense Bar: Fighting for Reform on Three Fronts During the Obama Administration, Kyle O’Dowd, Shana-Tara Regon, and Michael Price, Federal Sentencing Reporter, December 2010.
NACDL Champion Articles
- The Basic Steps a Criminal Defender Must Take to Understand the Adverse Immigration Consequences of Drug Offenses, April 2018.
- From the President: Coming and Going – Racial Disparity in the Punishment and Profit of Marijuana, December 2017.
- From the President: Crack, Opioids, and the Modest Reparation of Clemency, November 2017.
- Opioids, Addiction, and the Brain, 2019.
- Understanding and Challenging the Drug: Chemistry and Toxicology, 2019.
- Reform in the Most Incarcerated State, Pew, September 2017.
- Jay Z – The War on Drugs: From Prohibition to Gold Rush, Drug Policy Alliance, 2016.
- Advocacy Call on Medical and Personal Use Marijuana, February 2013.
- The Criminal Docket Episode 6: The Failed Drug War, April 2012.
- Drug Policy Alliance
- Stop the Drug War
- Marijuana Law, Policy & Reform Blog
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals
- National Cannabis Industry Association
- The RAND Corporation's Drug Policy Research Center
Cross-Examination Trial Pack
NACDL’s new Cross-Examination Trial Pack includes three of our best-selling Cross-Examination resources: “Damage Control: Situational Cross-Examination Techniques Trial Guide”, "Ultimate Cross 2.0: Audio Recordings & Written Materials" and "Sample Cross-Examination Questions."
This masterful collection of cross-examination resources provide countless tips, techniques and strategies for a variety of criminal case-specific scenarios. Learn to cross-examine a variety of trial witnesses!
Death Investigation: Forensic Pathology in the Courtroom and Cause & Manner of Death (2022)
This unique program provides criminal defense lawyers with an accurate and clear overview of forensic pathology and the countless factors to consider in a death investigation and will methodically explain what happens during an autopsy to determine cause and manner of death.
You'll uncover the different types of medicolegal death investigations, what to request from your MDI expert, quality benchmarks for accreditation and certification, guidelines and standards, common terminology and frequently asked questions.
The Psychology of Persuasion & Storytelling for Criminal Defense Lawyers
This Trial Resource Guide is a masterful collection of practical tips, techniques and strategies focused solely on using the arts and sciences of persuasion to improve your storytelling skills at trial.
You'll learn how to master the ability to communicate with juries, deliver powerful openings and closings, perform convincing cross-examinations, use effective courtroom choreography and non-verbal communication, identify and develop the optimal theme and theory for your case, and offer compelling arguments during mitigation and sentencing.
Zealous Advocacy in Sexual Assault & Child Victims Cases (2022)
Defending charges of sexual assault and child abuse can be daunting — but with the right tools, it doesn’t have to be.
Every year, NACDL identifies the hottest topics and most pressing issues when defending these cases, and brings-in nationally-renowned lawyers and experts to help you prepare for battle. This year’s 13th Annual Defending Sex Cases training program is our best yet; packed with topics and speakers you won’t want to miss!