As a member of NACDL, you are part of a network of criminal justice lawyers and advocates who value fairness, reforming flaws and inequities in the criminal justice system, and redressing systemic racism.
|First Time Member|
|Former Member - Rejoining|
|Download an Application|
Here are some of the reasons NACDL members are among America's most knowledgeable, best-connected criminal defense lawyers:
- Connect, learn & strategize with other members on our discussion groups at NACDLConnect! Search past communications as well as participate in current discussions.
- Get issues of The Champion - read it on paper, online, or on your phone! Members can search archived issues online. What a great resource!
- Your membership pays for itself with discounts from our NACDL Affinity partners.
- Updated and Reorganized NACDL Resource Center featuring the Engage and Exchange discussion series, case-based tools, forensics resources, an expert database, and postconviction materials.
- Support the profession through NACDL's advocacy work in the legislatures and in the courts.
- The Daily Criminal Justice Briefing is a digest of criminal justice articles from journals and media outlets, in your email inbox every day.
- Discounts on NACDL's top-notch, defense-only, CLE events.
- Discounts on NACDL educational products, including resource manuals and trial guides that cover a wide variety of topics and specialty areas.
- If you are threatened in any way for providing legal representation to a client - if you're subpoenaed, cited for contempt, hit with a bar grievance or a motion to disqualify you from a case the NACDL Strike Force will review your case, at no cost.
- NACDL has partnered with Association Health Programs (AHP) to offer NACDL members a variety of health insurance programs.
- Build your network of contacts, sharpen your leadership skills, and maximize your membership investment by joining an NACDL Committee, Task Force, or discussion group.
- Receive litigation assistance in cases raising new Fourth Amendment concerns through NACDL's Fourth Amendment Center.
Share your knowledge and practical tips by writing an article for The Champion.
Support NACDL as it leads the way through its Amicus Curiae program.
|Regular Member - Criminal defense attorneys in private practice, admitted to the bar more than six years.||$349|
|Public Defender - Full-time attorney at government Public Defender office or legal services nonprofit. Does not include assigned counsel or contract work.||$145|
|New Lawyer - Private attorneys in their first six years of practice, based on date of first admission to the bar.||$209|
|Law Professor - Professors employed full time on the faculties of accredited law schools.||$219|
|Military - Full-time, active duty military lawyers engaged primarily in criminal defense.||$219|
|Judge - Full-time members of the judiciary||$219|
|Associate Members - Persons who are not criminal defense lawyers, but whose work supports the criminal defense profession, including non-lawyers who support the goals and objectives of NACDL.||$219|
|International - Criminal Defense Lawyers who hold passports from countries other than the United States and Canada. International members do not receive a print version of The Champion®. You can access the online magazine here. Print copies can be requested, but shipping charges will apply.||$209|
|Law Student - Students in an accredited law school working toward a J.D. degree. Membership is FREE. Click here for more information.|
|Life Member* - One-time contribution or 5 yearly installments of $1,300 each. Expanded online profile.||$6,500|
|Presidents Club * - Donor Member, with an expanded online profile||$769|
|Sustaining Member * - Donor Member, with an expanded online profile||$539|
For your protection, we cannot accept credit card information by email. Please Note: Annual Dues may be deductible as an ordinary and necessary business expense for federal income tax purposes. NACDL estimates that 1.6% of your total membership dues are allocable to lobbying activities of the Association and therefore not deductible for income tax purposes as ordinary and necessary business expense. $90 of annual dues applies to a one-year subscription to The Champion. Contributions to the NACDL Foundation for Criminal Justice are fully tax-deductible.
Cross-Examination Trial Pack
NACDL’s new Cross-Examination Trial Pack includes three of our best-selling Cross-Examination resources: “Damage Control: Situational Cross-Examination Techniques Trial Guide”, "Ultimate Cross 2.0: Audio Recordings & Written Materials" and "Sample Cross-Examination Questions."
This masterful collection of cross-examination resources provide countless tips, techniques and strategies for a variety of criminal case-specific scenarios. Learn to cross-examine a variety of trial witnesses!
Death Investigation: Forensic Pathology in the Courtroom and Cause & Manner of Death (2022)
This unique program provides criminal defense lawyers with an accurate and clear overview of forensic pathology and the countless factors to consider in a death investigation and will methodically explain what happens during an autopsy to determine cause and manner of death.
You'll uncover the different types of medicolegal death investigations, what to request from your MDI expert, quality benchmarks for accreditation and certification, guidelines and standards, common terminology and frequently asked questions.
The Psychology of Persuasion & Storytelling for Criminal Defense Lawyers
This Trial Resource Guide is a masterful collection of practical tips, techniques and strategies focused solely on using the arts and sciences of persuasion to improve your storytelling skills at trial.
You'll learn how to master the ability to communicate with juries, deliver powerful openings and closings, perform convincing cross-examinations, use effective courtroom choreography and non-verbal communication, identify and develop the optimal theme and theory for your case, and offer compelling arguments during mitigation and sentencing.
Zealous Advocacy in Sexual Assault & Child Victims Cases (2022)
Defending charges of sexual assault and child abuse can be daunting — but with the right tools, it doesn’t have to be.
Every year, NACDL identifies the hottest topics and most pressing issues when defending these cases, and brings-in nationally-renowned lawyers and experts to help you prepare for battle. This year’s 13th Annual Defending Sex Cases training program is our best yet; packed with topics and speakers you won’t want to miss!