NACDL conducts annual elections for various officer and Board positions. Each year, NACDL elects approximately one third of the Board of Directors. Directors serve three-year terms and may serve two consecutive full terms. Each year NACDL also elects a Secretary, Second and First Vice President, and President Elect. After a one-year term, the President Elect automatically becomes President. Finally, NACDL elects a Treasurer to a two-year term every other year. The Treasurer is ineligible to run for any Board or Director office during that term.
Periodically NACDL conducts special elections to fill positions left vacant.
All elections and election candidates are subject to the provisions of the NACDL bylaws regarding elections and to the board-adopted standing board policy on elections.
2017 Regular Election
NACDL's 2017 Election is underway. In 2017, NACDL will elect nine members of its Board of Directors, as well as its President Elect, First and Second Vice Presidents, and Secretary.
See the complete procedures and protocols for the 2017 election.
Members interested in running for office may do so in one or both of two ways: by seeking nomination from NACDL’s Nominating Committee, or by submitting a candidacy petition. The Nominating Committee will meet in the spring to consider requests, which will be due to the nominating committee in late winter. Petitions will be due in late spring or early summer. The following deadlines apply to the 2017 election:
- March 31, 2017: Submissions requesting consideration by the Nominating Committee Due.
- May 5, 2017: Nominating Committee meets in Las Vegas
- May 6, 2017: Nominating Committee announces its slate at Las Vegas board meeting
- May 8, 2017: Nominating Committee slate announced to NACDL membership online
- June 8, 2017: Candidacy petitions due (download a petition)
- July 3-14, 2017: If any qualified petitions for candidacy are timely recieved voting will take place during this window. Voting will be online (with an option for paper ballot submission) subject to procedures posted in early Spring.
- July 29, 2017: Annual Meeting; election results announced
See more information concerning 2017 election deadlines.