- Criminal Justice in the 21st Century: Eliminating Racial and Ethnic Disparities in the Criminal Justice System
A three-day convening was held October 17-19, 2012, at the New York County Lawyers’ Association’s historic Home of Law and was co-sponsored by the following organizations: the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys, the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law, the Foundation for Criminal Justice, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Center for NuLeadership on Urban Solutions, and the New York County Lawyers’ Association.
Learn about the report with NACDL's Podcast Series, "The Criminal Docket"
Reports and Articles
- Why is it so easy for prosecutors to strike black jurors?
- In Search of Racial Justice: The Role of The Prosecutor, Angela J. Davis, 2014.
- Incorporating Racial Equity into Criminal Justice Reform, The Sentencing Project, October 2014.
- The Degree of Disadvantage: Incarceration and Inequality in Education, The ANNALS of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, January 2014.
- Race and Prosecution in Manhattan, Vera Institute of Justice, July 2014.
- Criminal Records, Race and Redemption, Michael Pinard, 2014.
- "Give Us Free": Addressing Racial Disparities in Bail Determinations, Cynthia E. Jones, 2014.
- Collateral Costs: Racial Disparities and Injustice in Minnesota's Marijuana Laws, Minnesota 2020, April 2014.
- Coming of Age with Stop and Frisk: Experiences, Self-Perceptions, and Public Safety Implications, Vera Institute of Justice, September 2013.
- Report of the Sentencing Project to the United Nations Human Rights Committee: Regarding Racial Disparities in the United States Criminal Justice System, The Sentencing Project, August 2013.
- Racial Disparities in Pretrial Diversion: An Analysis of Outcomes Among Men Charged with Felonies and Processed in State Courts, DePaul University, July 2013.
- Wisconsin's Mass Incarceration of African American Males: Workforce Challenges in 2013, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee: Employment and Training Institute, 2013.
- "Opinion: An Opportunity Brought On By Tragedy," by Webb Hubbell, Talk Radio News Service, August 2, 2013.
- "Would Arresting More Whites End Racial Disparities in the Justice System?," The Crime Report, July 19, 2013.
- "Eliminating Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System," by Jeralyn, TalkLeft, July 17, 2013.
- "New report suggests ways to eliminate criminal justice racial and ethnic disparities," Sentencing Law and Policy, July 17, 2013.
- Racial Disparities in Arrests in the District of Columbia, 2009-2011
- The War on Marijuana in Black and White
- Operation Ghetto Storm
- Reducing Racial Disparities in the Criminal Justice System
- Fourteen Examples of Race in the Criminal Justice System-Huffington Post
- Racial Justice Victory in Oregon
- Brennan Center for Justice - Racial Justice
- Democracy Now
- Equal Justice Initiative
- Racial Justice Calendar
- Historical Insight into the Emancipation Proclamation
Project Partners and Organizers
This project was supported in part by a grant from the Ford Foundation. Additional financial support for the conference provided by the Foundation for Criminal Justice, the Brennan Center for Justice and the New York County Lawyers’ Association. The project was organized with support from the Foundation for Criminal Justice, the Brennan Center for Justice, the Association of Prosecuting Attorneys, the Center for Nu Leadership on Urban Solutions, and the New York County Lawyers Association.
- Association of Prosecuting Attorneys
- Brennan Center for Justice
- Ford Foundation
- Foundation for Criminal Justice
- Center for NuLeadership on Urban Solutions
- New York County Lawyers’ Association