Resources include state-specific research, briefs shared by fellow defense lawyers, digital data and privacy concerns, ethics, and more.
Save the Date
Another free NACDL Summit in this area with a Focus on Forensics: Medical & Digital Evidence in Pregnancy-Related Cases
Friday, December 1, 2023
American University Washington College of Law
- Post Roe: Building Defenses in Pregnancy-Related Prosecutions: Understanding the Issues & the Science (July 20, 2022)
- Digital Defense in a Post-Dobbs World (October 27, 2022)
- Conspiracy, RICO, and Accomplice Liability in the Post-Dobbs World (January 20, 2023)
- Reproductive Medicine, Medical Experts and Healthcare Privacy for Post-Dobbs Defense (March 17, 2023)
- Forensic Pathology in Pregnancy-Related Cases: Understanding the Science (June 8, 2023)
Criminalization of Pregnancy & Reproductive Health (CPRHP) State-by-State Reports
NACDL’s CPHRP has worked with dozens of law professors and other legal experts to create this overview of relevant state laws including existing abortion laws, trigger laws that are or will soon be in effect, pre-Roe statutes that prosecutors might invoke, and fetal personhood laws. NACDL is committed to developing resources to prepare attorneys to advise clients and defend cases in the face of the criminalization of personal choice and health. Click the map to see that state’s summary AND other state specific resource materials.
Acknowledgements: Thank you to all the volunteers who contributed these CPRHP state-by-state reports.
- Confronting Pregnancy Criminalization: A Practical Guide for Healthcare Providers, Lawyers, Medical Examiners, Child Welfare Workers, and Policymakers (June 23, 2022)
- When Fetuses Gain Personhood: Understanding the Impact on IVF, Contraception, Medical Treatment, Criminal Law, Child Support, and Beyond (August 17, 2022)
- Who Do Fetal Homicide Laws Protect? An Analysis for a Post-Roe America (August 17, 2022)