About the Award
The NACDL Champion of State Criminal Justice Reform Award recognizes an individual or group whose exceptional efforts have led toward progressive reform of a state criminal justice system.
Nominate a Possible Recipient
THE NACDL® STATE LEGISLATIVE AFFAIRS COMMITTEE INVITES NOMINATIONS FOR
THE 2016 CHAMPION OF STATE CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM AWARD
The NACDL® Champion of State Criminal Justice Reform Award recognizes an individual or group whose exceptional efforts have led to positive changes to reform a state criminal justice system.
The award will be presented on Friday, August 12, 2016, at the State Criminal Justice Network Conference in Palm Beach, Florida.
Nominations may be made by any state affiliate, advocacy group, individual, or NACDL’s state legislative affairs director and shall be submitted in accordance with the guidelines and deadline and include such information as determined by the State Legislative Affairs Committee chairs.
Nomination information should include:
- the name, title, address and phone number of the nominated person/group;
- the name, title, address and phone number of the nominating person/group;
- a summary, not to exceed two (2) single-spaced pages, of:
- the problems that exist(ed) in the relevant state criminal justice system
- the efforts made by the nominee to improve the system (e.g., coalitions formed, legislation proposed and passed, task forces created, litigation initiated, and past commitment to the values of NACDL® and participation at the SCJN Conference)
- the number of years the nominee has been involved in efforts to improve the state criminal justice system and a brief history of the nominee’s career
- any reform efforts that have led to systemic change as a result of the nominee’s efforts.
Eligibility and Selection
The recipient shall be selected by the members of the NACDL® State Legislative Affairs Committee.
It is not necessary that the nominee be a lawyer; non-lawyer advocates and reformers will be considered. The Chair and Vice Chair of the State Legislative Affairs Committee are not eligible to receive this award but may submit nominations.
Supplementary materials — such as brochures, reports, or news articles — also may be included. Unlimited letters of support may be submitted.
Nominations must be postmarked or emailed by Friday, July 1, 2016, and sent to: NACDL® Champion of State Criminal Justice, Attn: Lisa Schrade, 1660 L Street, NW, 12th Floor, Washington, DC 20036 or firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Champion of State Criminal Justice Reform Award). For information about previous award recipients, please visit www.nacdl.org/scjn.