In 2014, NACDL members will elect nine members of the Board of Directors, as well as President-Elect, First Vice President, Second Vice President, Treasurer, and Secretary. Pursuant to Article V, Section (3) (c) of the bylaws, the Treasurer will serve a term of two years and during that term shall be ineligible for any other Officer or Director position. The current Treasurer was elected in 2012.
NACDL will observe the following deadlines for the 2014 Regular Election:
The Nomination Process
Pursuant to Article VIII, Section 1, “Any member qualified to vote may be nominated as a candidate for any Officer or Director position. A member may be nominated by one of three means:
- By the Nominating Committee, as set forth in Article VII, Section 5 (a);
- Any Member of the Association qualified to vote may nominate by petition any other Member qualified to hold office; or
- Any Member qualified to vote may nominate by petition himself or herself.”
Candidates seeking nomination by the Nominating Committee should note the following deadlines:
Monday, April 14, 2014, 5:00pm Eastern Time
- Candidates seeking nomination by the Nominating Committee must submit the following by email:
- A resume
- A statement of qualifications of up to 600 words
- The statement of qualifications should include a statement of service to NACDL.
- It may also include and may also include NACDL meetings attended, member recruitment efforts, and committee work and service to the legal profession (including work on behalf of criminal justice issues and for other professional associations), a description of the member’s practice (including areas of concentration and percentage of time devoted to criminal defense and pro bono work) and other relevant community serivce
- A photo
- A designation of the position(s) for which the member would like to be considered and why
- A statement that the member is a member in good standing his or her respective bar
- Disclosure of any indicdtment or information for any felony or crime involving moral turpitude
- Saturday, May 17, 2014
- The Nominating Committee must notifty the Executive Director of its nominations.
- Monday, May 19, 2013
- The Nominating Committee will notify the membership of its proposed nominees via posting on the NACDL website, The Champion, and elsewhere as practical.
Nomination by Petition
Candidates petitioning for nomination or members submitting petitions on behalf of another candidate should note the following deadlines:
- Thursday, June 5, 2014, 5:00pm Eastern Time
- Petitions must be received at NACDL. Any and all petition forms must be submitted in a single transmittal by email to Daniel Weir at firstname.lastname@example.org. Petitions must be submitted along with the following:
- A statement of qualifications of no more than 600 words
- A photo
- A statement that the petitioner is a member in good standing with his or her respective bar.
Candidates are responsible for confirming that their materials have been received.
Paper ballots must be requested by July 7, 2014.
Voting for the election will take place between July 8 and July 22. All votes must be cast by July 22 at 5:00 pm Eastern Time. Paper ballots must be received at NACDL's offices by 5:00 pm Eastern Time on July 22.